K-pop sensation BTS has taken the world by storm with its music and passionate fan base. And for those who love both BTS and Korean culture, learning Korean can be enjoyable.
Not only will you be able to understand BTS lyrics better. But you’ll also be able to communicate with other fans in their language. To brush up on your Korean skills, learn Korean with BTS by following these simple steps—
Learn the Korean Alphabet With BTS Music Videos
Who says learning a new language needs to be boring? Thanks to the Bangtan Boys, you can practice your Korean while jamming out.
Big Hit Entertainment has made BTS videos for those who want to practice their Korean. The videos feature the seven BTS members singing and dancing to popular songs. Then, there are lyrics in both Hangul (the Korean alphabet) and Romanized form.
This way, K-pop fans can familiarize themselves with the basic sounds and shapes of Hangul characters. Not to mention, it’s also a great way to enjoy your favorite songs at the same time.
More than that, below are some big-hit BTS songs to practice your Hangul skills.
- N.O. This video is an excellent introduction to the Korean alphabet, as it features each letter in order. You can follow along with the lyrics and practice your pronunciation simultaneously.
- DOPE. Perfect for beginners, as it features a slow and clear pronunciation of each letter. You can sing along with the refrain and get a feel for how the letters sound.
- Save ME. Perfect for those who want to practice their reading skills, as it features lots of on-screen text.
- Blood Sweat & Tears. Ideal for intermediate learners as it features more challenging words and phrases.
Get Pronunciation Tips From BTS
Looking to practice your Korean pronunciation? Then why not take some tips from the language experts themselves— BTS.
That’s right; the chart-topping K-Pop group can teach you a thing or two about speaking Korean. After all, they are some of the most famous Korean speakers in the world.
You might be thinking, “I’m not as talented as BTS. They’re professionals who have been learning Korean since they were kids. There’s no way I can sound like them.” But that’s not true!
While they might make speaking Korean look effortless, they’ve tried perfecting their pronunciation. And so, here are a few tips that you can use to help practice your Korean pronunciation, courtesy of BTS:
- Use a speaking pen. This learning tool is for advanced learners who want to practice Korean pronunciation. Besides that, BTS use this pen to practice their lines as it allows them to record their voice. You can find speaking pens online or at many Korean bookstores. Or perhaps, avail of the “Learn Korean with BTS” book package as it has one speaking pen.
- Download the Weverse app. This app is an excellent language learning resource for your Korean learning journey. Plus, it has a built-in translation feature that can help you with your pronunciation.
- Listen and imitate. One of the best ways to improve your pronunciation is to listen closely to native speakers. Then, imitate what you hear. And so, find some videos or songs that you like and practice imitating the pronunciation.
- Get feedback from a native Korean speaker. Once you’ve been working on your pronunciation for a while, get feedback from Koreans. They can help point out any areas you need to work on and give you tips on improving. In fact, BTS has professional vocal coaches to perfect their pronunciation.
- Repetitive practice. The only way to perfect your Korean pronunciation is through practice. Remember, the more you practice, the better your pronunciation will become.
Improve Your Korean Writing Skills With BTS Translations
One of the easiest ways to learn Korean writing is to practice with translations of BTS songs. And if you’re an Army, you know that BTS lyrics are full of deep meaning and clever wordplay. That said, why not take a page from their playbook and use their lyrics as a resource?
Here are some ways that translations of BTS songs can help you with your Korean lessons:
- Use them as practice material. Like any writing, practice makes it perfect for learning how to write in the Korean language. Use BTS lyrics as a way to learn the Korean language and writing.
- Pay attention to grammar. When reading the lyrics, pay close attention to the grammar used. Not only will this help you to understand better how the language works. But it can also give you ideas about structuring your sentences.
- Study the vocabulary. One thing that makes BTS stand out is their inventive use of language. When you come across a new word in its lyrics, take some time to look it up and add it to your Korean vocabulary list.
- Look for hidden meanings. A lot of times, BTS will play around with words and phrases to create hidden meanings in their lyrics. See if you can spot these clever linguistic tricks and figure out what they’re trying to say.
- Have fun. Learn Korean with BTS as fun as you like. Besides, learning a new language should be enjoyable. So, make sure to find material that you enjoy working with.